Lechon Asado - a Cuban Traditional Pork Dish
1-6 pound Pork Shoulder
5 Tsp.. salt
5 medium garlic cloves
1/2 tsp. powdered Pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed Oregano
3 Tblsp. of Vinegar (Red Wine may use apple)
Guava Jelly, Mustard, garlic, 1 Orange and Cilantro
1. wash the Pork Shoulder. Make incisions in different places of the Shoulder. Put salt in incisions
and on the meat and rub in.
2. Grind together the garlic, pepper, oregano and 1 Tblsp. of salt. Spread this mix on the outside of
3. Mix the Vinegar and remaining Oil and spread on the outside of the Pork. Refrigerate over night,
4. Remove the Pork shoulder from the refrigerator 2 hours before putting in the oven.
5. Turn the oven on 10 minutes before at 350 and set the pork in a sided pan on chopped onion and carrot.
6. Cook the Pork for 31/2 hours. Then raise the temperature to 375 and cook for 15 - 30 minutes until
the skin is toasted. If the meat is over this weight use the 15 min. per pound as a cooking time but still raise the temp.
Sauce: Take half of the Guava Jelly in a pan over medium heat, add 1/4 - 1/3 of the mustard, the diced
garlic toes (2), juice from the orange and 1 Tblsp. of Vinegar. White Wine may be added in a small amount. Reduce the sauce
but not past Nape' or, the consistency that coats a spoon.