IB 11 -- The role of genetics in psychology
Go to this website: http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/elsi/behavior.shtml
Once there, you will create a study guide that someone (randomly chosen) will use for an
open note quiz on Wednesday. There are a few ground rules.
1. It must fit on a 4x6 notecard
2. It must be legible, so take your time and make it neat.
3. You will receive two grades; the one you get on the quiz and also the one received by
the person using your notes. Remember, reciprocity is your friend.
Gardner and Sternberg -- creating the perfect school curriculum
These are excellent professional references for this assignment. Search through them and
look for specific references to these theories as they pertain to the classroom. The links are provided at my website under
the "IB assignments" link.
In your interpersonal groups, you are to work collaboratively in creating a day of lessons
for a fifth grade class that consists of the following demographics:
- 20 total kids
- 12 girls/8 boys
- 2 Asian students who are fluent in English
- 1 Hispanic student with limited English proficiency
- 1 hearing impaired student
- The range of IQ scores is 75-120
- All eight of Gardner's intelligences are represented, though
it is unclear which student is which (sorry, confidentiality issues)
You will create one lesson of your choice (in terms of subject matter) for each of these
Grammar, Math, Science, Social Studies, Physical Education, Art (or Music)
1. There will be a cover sheet outlining the teammates' names and the main educational
objective for the group
2. Each lesson will have its own section. Do not overlap on consecutive pages.
3. For each lesson, you will follow this format:
a. Label the subject matter followed by the
b. outline your goals and objectives (what you hope to achieve)
c. Explain how you will implement the lesson,
d. List the learning styles/intelligences which are being featured
with this lesson
e. Detail any modifications you will make for
exceptional children, as they appear above
f. Identify which Sternberg and Gardner theories/ideas you are utilizing and reference
them as they appear in the professional articles/speeches listed above
g. Attach any copies of lesson worksheets, directions, activities
you plan to use to the specific lesson
4. You must address all eight intelligences and all three aspects of Sternberg’s
theory, though obviously not all of them in one lesson.
5. Per decision of the group, the best lesson will be performed with the rest of the class
on presentation day next week.
6. Zero period and Sixth period will have their lesson packets placed in random order without
identifying factors and evaluated by a team of teachers. The packets will be ranked from 1 through 6 (3 teams per period)
– the period with the lowest score when places are added together (think cross country) will win a class party which
will be funded at the other class’ expense. That should make for some fun, healthy competition.
IB Psychology 12th grade
Humanism: Historical and Cultural development
of a theory/philosophy
International Baccalaureate Expectations
- Describe and evaluate relevant theories
and empirical studies related to humanistic psychology
- Explain how cultural, ethical, gender,
and methodological considerations affect the interpretation of behaviour in humanistic psychology and health psychology
Recommended topics from IB Psychology manual
- A response to the deterministic perspectives
- The rise of existentialism
- The role of qualitative research
You are to write a research paper that will entail
1. Describe how the behavioral perspective, and
its focus on determinism, led to the creation of humanistic psychology, USING SPECIFIC RESEARCH REFERENCES.
2. Look at the following list. For each, describe
specific aspects of the philosophy/belief/writing/etc. that has parallels in the general theories and assumptions of Humanistic
d. Psychodynamic psychology
3. Also, please describe the works and theories
of Victor Frankl and how they were influenced by his harrowing experiences in Europe during Nazi occupation. You may also want to draw parallels between his religious studies and the
information from No. 2 above.
I want a clear, concise thesis statement. I want
strong transitions between paragraphs. I want these to be documented CORRECTLY! To make sure this happens, you will be using
index cards. By Friday of this week, you will have created at least 25 notecards with a fact from a source. You will need
to use at least five sources for this paper. I want direct sources. If you find information that notates from another source,
you try to find that source. DO NOT USE TEXTBOOKS!
These should be typed, double-spaced and there
is no page limit, though I expect at least three pages minimum (12 point, TNR font).
Today is November 15, 2005. They are due Friday,
December 2. You know your travel plans for the holidays. You have four days to work on these in class. Manage accordingly.
As always, there will be no extensions, and zeroes will be given to anyone who does not meet the deadline.